• Masthead Image

    Masthead Image
  • Masthead Image

    Masthead Image
  • Masthead Image

    Masthead Image
  • hepburn


    To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow - Audrey Hepburn

  • Masthead Image 6

    Masthead Image 6
  • Masthead Image

    Masthead Image
  • Masthead Image

    Masthead Image

Approximately half of the Licking County Foundation's (LCF) scholarships are financial need-based scholarships.  These scholarships require submission of the first page (only) of the FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR).  Please see below for some of our most frequently asked questions regarding FAFSA.

What is the FAFSA? 
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a form that may be submitted annually by current and prospective college students (both undergraduate and graduate) in the United States to apply for federal student financial aid, such as Pell grants, Stafford loans, PLUS loans, and work-study programs.  The FAFSA is also used to apply for most state and college financial aid.  Once the FAFSA is submitted to the U.S. Department of Education, it will be processed and a Student Aid Report (SAR) will be produced. 

What is a SAR?
The Student Aid Report (SAR) is a summary of the information provided on the FAFSA.  The SAR also includes your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number, which is used to determine your eligibility for financial aid. 

Do I have to file the FAFSA to receive a Licking County Foundation scholarship?
No. About half of the Foundation’s available scholarships are based on financial need.  To apply for any of these financial need-based scholarships, you are required to submit the first page of your FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR), which lists your EFC.  However, if a LCF scholarship is not categorized as need-based, you do not attach anything from FAFSA for that scholarship.  

What documents do I submit to the Foundation if I want to be considered for scholarships which are awarded based on financial need?
You must attach a .pdf file of the first page of the FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR).  This page will list your EFC.

What is an EFC?
The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a measure of your family’s financial strength and is calculated according to a formula established by law with the information you report on your FAFSA.  Schools use the EFC to determine your federal student aid eligibility and financial aid award.  The Foundation uses the EFC in part to determine your eligibility for scholarships that require students to have need for financial aid. 

How do I complete and file the FAFSA?
You must file the FAFSA online at   

When should I submit my FAFSA?
Please see below and find a summary of these changes on the FAFSA website.

Students complete and submit their FAFSAs as early as October 1 every year.

  • USE EARLIER INCOME AND TAX INFORMATION: As of 2017, students are required to report income and tax information from an earlier tax year. For example, on the 2021–22 FAFSA, students (and parents, as appropriate) will report their 2019 income and tax information.

When will my SAR be available?
If you provide your e-mail address on your FAFSA, an email will be sent to you with a link to your SAR within 3 to 5 days.  If you did not provide your email address on your FAFSA, a paper SAR will be mailed to you and received within 14 days. 

How do I get my SAR?
If you provided a valid e-mail address, you will receive an e-mail with instructions on how to access an online copy of your SAR.  If you did not provide a valid e-mail address on your FAFSA, you will receive either a SAR or SAR Acknowledgement via postal mail. 

Where can I go for help?
Your guidance counselor or the financial aid office of the college that interests you can help you.  They can tell you what forms to fill out and the steps to follow to receive the financial aid available to you.

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.